European Journal of Sport Science Best Paper Award – Announcement
Discover the latest sport science at the 27th Annual Congress of the ECSS
EJSS is now firmly established as one of the world’s premier multidisciplinary sport science journals.
European Journal of Sport Science (EJSS) is the official Medline- and Thomson Reuters-listed journal of the European College of Sport Science. The Journal promotes the highest standards of scientific study and scholarship in respect of the following fields:
Each section has a number of Associate Editors responsible for quality, scientific rigour and submissions to their section. The full editorial team (including Editorial Board) and structure can be found here.
Meet the Team
Professor Anni Vanhatalo
Professor of Human Physiology, University of Exeter, UK
Dr Sharief Hendricks
Social Media Editor
Senior Researcher, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Associate Editors play a vital role in the success of the journal, supporting the core editorial team in the peer review process, endorsing the journal within their field and part of the world, contributing to the best paper award process each year and attending the annual Associate Editor meeting at the ECSS Annual Congress to collaborate and share experiences with the rest of the team.
Applied Sport Sciences
Psychology, Social Sciences and Humanities
Biomechanics and Motor Control
Sports and Exercise Medicine and Health
Physiology and Nutrition
Influencing knowledge and practice around the world.
Proud sponsor of the YIA
EJSS is the proud sponsor of the ECSS Young Investigators Award. By creating this connection, the College has brought together two of its key missions:
Disseminating high quality,
Empowering the development of young scientists.
What does this mean?
The College is reinvesting the journal’s success back into the promotion and development of young scientists through the YIA programme. This link will create a platform for young scientists to develop as researchers and become future authors, reviewers, and editors of EJSS and other scientific journals.
Please refer to the Publisher’s website for subscription information.
ECSS members receive complimentary online access to the journal through their ECSS account.
Read about ECSS membership benefits here
EJSS is an ‘open select’ journal. This means authors can publish open access content in the journal. EJSS publishes both open access content and content available via subscription. All open access articles can be found on the Publisher’s website here.
For more information on publishing open access, please refer to the Publisher’s author services website here.
EJSS publishes 12 issues per year. All issues are available on the Publisher’s website. ECSS members can log into their ECSS account to access the Journal free of charge.
Print ISSN: 1746-1391 Online ISSN: 1536-7290.
EJSS’ impact factor has steadily increased over recent years. Its current 2020 impact factor of 4.05 is its highest ever result. The journal is currently ranked 21st out of 116 journals in the Journal Citation Reports Sport Sciences category.
EJSS was accepted into Medline in 2013. EJSS has a dedicated section for submissions in ‘sport and exercise medicine and health’.
EJSS Best Paper Award
EJSS launched its Best Paper Award in 2017, with the inaugural award ceremony taking place at the 2017 ECSS MetropolisRuhr Congress in Essen, Germany.
Complementing ECSS’s mission to “disseminate high quality, innovative science and its application”, this award showcases the most innovative science published in EJSS. The winning paper and all nominated papers are available free to access for a limited time following first announcement of the winner until one month following the ECSS annual congress.
Eligibility for the award
Journal papers published in the calendar year prior to the congress are eligible for the award. For example, in 2021, papers were considered from Volume 20 (calendar year 2020).
Associate Editors will nominate papers from their section published in the calendar year. An editorial team will review all nominations and select an overall winner.
- Open to all age groups and career levels
- Section Editors will nominate papers for consideration according to the following
- Originality: The paper is innovative and constructively engages with new or complex problems.
- Significance: The paper makes an important contribution to the advancement of knowledge in sport science.
- Methodological rigour: The paper uses robust and appropriate methods to address the research question.
- Potential impact: The paper has the potential to alter prevailing theory or practice in sport science.
- Early January, Award Opens: Editor-in-Chief contacts Associate Editors for their nominations.
- Late February, Nominations: Editor-in-Chief reviews nominations and selects best paper winner.
- Early March, First Announcement: ECSS Office informs winner and invites winner to attend congress.
In normal circumstances, the EJSS Best Paper Award is officially announced at the ECSS Annual Congress just before the congress closing ceremony and the winner will be called to the stage. A cheque will be handed over by the Editor-in-Chief and ECSS President.
- €1000 (Euros) in prize money is granted to the winner of the award.
- Congress registration fees are waived for the first author of the winning paper.
The EJSS Best Paper Award will be announced via all ECSS channels, including websites, newsletters and social media.
Latest results here.
EJSS’ official submission guidelines can be found here.
Competition to publish in the journal is high. Here are some tips from our Editorial Team:
- Be novel, be original and seek feedback from colleagues.
- Think: originality, significance, importance. Do the best science you can.
- Use an Editor or editing service.
- Take advantage of the review process.
- Use the resources available.
- Read all about the journal you are submitting to, including back copies.
- Follow the instructions!.
- Spend plenty of time on abstract and title.
- The job is not done when it’s accepted. You need to communicate your research through social media avenues. Be creative and use infographics, videos or video abstracts.
- Something of no scholarly interest.
- Work that is out-of-date.
- A duplication of existing, published research.
- Incorrect or unacceptable research.
Peer review statement
All manuscript submissions are subject to initial appraisal by the Editor-in-Chief, and, if found suitable for further consideration, to peer review by independent, anonymous expert referees.
All peer review is double blind and submission is online via ScholarOne Manuscripts.